Elder Christopher Russell, Donetsk Ukraine Mission July 2010 - July 2012

Christopher Russell was found worthy to serve a proselyting mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, and received his mission call from President Thomas S. Monson to serve in the Ukraine, Donetsk Mission.

Chris will spend the first twelve weeks of his mission at the Mission Training Center in Provo Utah learning, Russian.

On October 13, 2010 he will start his journey to the Ukraine.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

2/21 fuka(Vika) -and New Companion Elder Kontsedaylo

Hello family and friends!
This week I actually have a picture of fuka(Vika), the little girl who loves me and simultaneously wants to hit me every time she passes by.

Just so that everyone feels better, we got stuck in an elevator too. Four of us walked in, the doors closed, the lights turned off, and nothing happened. The difference is that I ripped the doors open with my hands and we could get out fine.

I beat the old branch president at chess after a lesson with him and I think he wants a re-match.

We met with Sister tamara this week and she has a great testimony. I could feel that and when Elder Beck gave her a blessing it was even stronger.

We had to move Elder Beck, so on Thursday the ZLs and us took the 3 suitcases and extra bag(that's the size of a suitcase) through the metro. It was fun.

Then on Friday we went on a bus at 7 in the morning and I stayed with the ZL for the rest of the day until we found out who companions were. Right now I'm with Elder Kontsedaylo who lived in Kiev until he was 9 years old and then he moved to Austrailia. So he knows English and Russian pretty perfectly.

We baptized someone the following day so I went to that. The man is from Africa and speaks English, French, and some Russian.

On Sunday I had to give a talk and I used a Liahona general conference address that I didn't know was written by Russell M. Nelson until I was on the stand. Really weird saying Elder Russell said, probably one of the few times that will happen.

They don't really celebrate Valentine's day, they have a different one for that.

We cannot eat fish here (I wouldn't want to either) and as far as I know, there is no church sponsored scouting program here in Ukraine.

When missionaries aren't teaching lessons, we are usually contacting, eating, preparing food, setting up appointments, or it's P day. In the last case I've done bowling, ping-pong, Risk, Monopoly, napped, shopped, hung out, and played both kinds of football.

As far as how I'm doing goes, I'm great! I love my new companion and he has high hopes for the area. The work is hard but we carry on and I believe that our work will pay off. And Russian is going fine, my companion says I have a good accent.

Elder Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment