Elder Christopher Russell, Donetsk Ukraine Mission July 2010 - July 2012

Christopher Russell was found worthy to serve a proselyting mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, and received his mission call from President Thomas S. Monson to serve in the Ukraine, Donetsk Mission.

Chris will spend the first twelve weeks of his mission at the Mission Training Center in Provo Utah learning, Russian.

On October 13, 2010 he will start his journey to the Ukraine.

Monday, June 6, 2011

4-11-2011 SYLing - in Ukraine

Hello FAmily and friends!

This week started out with a Family Home evening. That was fun, but using balloon animals was a bad idea given everyone wanted one and they were loud...

We had a day where we were "dogged" twice on completely different ends of our area, so we walked alot.

We've been SYLing(speaking our language,Russian) on the street which has been helpful. I feel as though my Russian is progressing faster than ever.

We also went to the boo pullok(reenk) which is basically a bunch of stands selling books. Elder Loveridge wanted a Ukrainian dictionary and I wanted to look at some books.

We also went inside some Russian temples which were very interesting. There were candles everywhere, smoke in the air, people kissing things, and more people crossing themselves than I've ever seen in my life.

We had a lesson with some members this week one of which was terrible because the woman was basically asking our advice on whether she should divorce her husband... just awkward.

Then I had to give a blessing to an investigator in russian which I'm hoping went well. What helped me get through the day was being at Fuka's (Victoria's) house waiting for her mom, and boka just being cute.

We had a baptism on Saturday which was a husband and wife and Elder Loveridge baptized the wife. They have 4 kids so we're hoping they get baptized soon too. We've been working with someone from Nigeria named Solomon who seem to be avoiding baptism for various random reasons.

I got Shelley's box on Monday and it appears as though everything made it just fine.

Conference was good although I kind of feel like Adam in the Garden of Eden being commanded to hurry up and get married and to remain celibate for the rest of my mission. Anyway, conference was good and we had a good week overall, I'm just trying to cope with being senior companion and all of the th
ings I didn't need to worry about before.

Love you all!

Sorry if I'm missing birthdays!

Elder Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment