Elder Christopher Russell, Donetsk Ukraine Mission July 2010 - July 2012

Christopher Russell was found worthy to serve a proselyting mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, and received his mission call from President Thomas S. Monson to serve in the Ukraine, Donetsk Mission.

Chris will spend the first twelve weeks of his mission at the Mission Training Center in Provo Utah learning, Russian.

On October 13, 2010 he will start his journey to the Ukraine.

Monday, June 6, 2011

4-4-2011 Mormon Helping Hands - The New Senior Companion

Hello Family and Friends!

So This week started off on Tuesday with a 3 investigator lesson we started out with just Susanta who is our main man from Sri Lanka, and then his friend from kenya named Philip and then somewhere in the middle of that his Ukrainian friend named Anton came and so that was cool. It turned out that all four of us were trying to convert Susanta to christianity.

And then we had a lesson with a member and before we actually got around to starting the lesson his x-wife showed up because they actually still live together and she was a little crazy but since she's not a member and he is we got a member/present lesson. Hopefully we can work on her.

For our District meeting one of the things we did was watch the temple cultural celebration that the countries that were going to be benefited by the Kiev temple did and that's really cool if you can ever find it watch it. We watched it in Russian but it was orginally done in Ukrainian. There's an english translation that's really good.

This week was transfers so I spent a lot of time packing. I got all my stuff in when transfers actually came, what's surprising is that I'm still in the same part of the city of Soltivka and I am even in the same Branch and I went to Elder Loveridge who was in my last district. He's going into his 3rd trsansfer and I'm going into my fifth. He's 2 younger than me and I'm now Senior companion. Hopefully I know enough Russian to get by. So his apaprtment was in my area last transfer so we ended up taking a metro and taking a bus down here with all my luggage which wasn't too bad.

By the way, we have awesome juice here which we drink more often than soda because it tastes amazing! My trainer joked that the juice is so good because it needs to be a chaser for all the vodka around here.

We had a service a project that was a big thing(helping hands) they do this once year where every branch in the Ukraine has their own service actiivity to do and they all go out on the same day and complete their service activity. And for our service acitivity we were picking up leaves from a local kindergarten, putting them in a pit and we were then burning them so they weren't there anymore.

This really annoying thing happened because I'm senior companion now which means that I have the phone and I have to answer the phone when someone is calling and so far I haven't had very good experiences with the phone. One time this person called and they were speaking so fast I couldn't understand. Another time, apparently there are local young women in their 20s who have our phone number and like to call us randomly and they called us up and just started tgalking in some kind of English and ununderstandly Russian. They called back 3 times and I kept hanging up. Oh zut!

Yesterday Pres. Frye called and that scared me but he wanted to talk to my companion about someone he's baptizing on Saturday. Which reminds me that my companion is baptizing someone on Saturday, should be pretty awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment